Tuesday, February 24, 2009

'Project Runway' Amid Legal Struggle

The following is a link to an article by Brian Stelter about Project Runway:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/21/arts/television/21runw.html?ref=television.

The article discusses the legal struggle going on between NBC and the Weinstein Company. Bravo, which used to air Project Runway, sold the rights to Lifetime, which is a breach of contract. NBC subsequently sued, causing the Weinstein Company to counter-sue.

Now the season can't air until the mess is sorted out, and as a result, the final contestants weren't allowed to be onstage for the presentation of their final collections during Fashion Week, a tradition that audience members really enjoy.

I, personally, feel really bad the contestants. The show talks about how its not a reality show for the sake of being a reality show but that its presence is honestly to serve the industry, and I believe it - it's never seemed to me as if it's catering to audiences and rankings. So I think that it's really sad that the contestants can't be acknowledged for and be proud of their work. I understand the legalities behind the issue, but I also think that the legal system moves painfully slowly. I don't know when they started filming this season, but maybe they just shouldn't have started until the legal mess was cleared up.

Tim Gunn's a little worried that the viewers won't stick around long enough for the mess to be sorted out, and I think that's a valid concern, but I also think that fashion's a pretty contemporary issue - people will come back to Project Runway when it comes back. If Grey's Anatomy decided to take a little hiatus, though, the same thing probably couldn't be said.

3 comments:

  1. I had no idea this was going on! Project Runway is one of the very few shows I can tolerate watching. But why Lifetime?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh! Yes, sadly I did know about this whole debacle and wish everything could get sorted out. I feel like the people that come on to this show actually have talent and deserve to be recognized and this is such a sad way for these designers to have to show their collections.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you on the fact the contestants don't get to show their work. I really like this show since I am so into seeing what ideas they come up with for their challenges.

    ReplyDelete